Hawkeye – A Crowdsourced, Unlocked Phone
Known as Project CSX, which stands for Crowd Source X, the idea, design and name comes directly from consumers. The name, Hawkeye, was chosen by consumers who can expect to be engaged in the next phases of this exciting project to select materials, colors and help contribute software for the phone. As a manufacturer with a long history of building quality mobile products, ZTE has taken the initiative to give consumers the reigns and decide what to build for 2017. After a voting round which included consumers representing 176 countries around the world, the consensus was to develop a hands free experience for a mobile phone. Additional information about the project at: http://csx.zteusa.com.
Hands Free Experience
The key features, submitted by a team of four creative designers who won the Project CSX competition, allow an experience that does not require the use of hands to navigate through common smartphone applications:
- Scrolling based on Eye-Tracking – by recognizing movement of the eyes, pages can scroll automatically up-down or left-right based on movement. Voice commands can be used to navigate between pages.
- Stick to Walls and Surfaces with Self-Adhesive Case – with an optional case, the phone can be mounted to a vertical surface, freeing up the need to hold the phone.
These unique features give consumers the opportunity to continue use of their phone and applications in times when one or both hands are otherwise occupied.
Hawkeye Phone Specifications
Although the highlight features are eye tracking for scrolling and the adhesive case, as voted upon by thousands of consumers, ZTE recognizes that a great phone needs to be innovative and competitive in other areas too. And it should be unlocked, to give you the ability to choose the wireless carrier of your choice.
- CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 (Octa-core 2.0GHz)
- OS: Android Nougat (OTA update support)
- Display: 5.5″ FHD (1920 x 1080)
- Camera (Rear): Dual Lens 13MP + 12MP with optical zoom
- Camera (Front): 8MP
- Memory: 3GB RAM / 32GB ROM (expandable with additional 256GB)
- SIM: Dual SIM slot (additional slot may be used with MicroSD for storage)
- Battery: 3000 mAh
- WIFI 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz/5GHz • BT4.2 / HFP1.6
- Other Features: Fingerprint sensor, Hi-Fi audio, NFC, USB Type C, Quick Charge 2.0
- GSM: 850/1900/900/1800
- UMTS/HSPA: 850/1900/AWS/2100LTE: B2/B4/B5/B7/B12/B13/B66 CAT6
* LTE bands are still being considered. The bands listed in the specifications are locked and additional bands being considered based on consumer feedback.
The phone is currently in development and is expected to ship in September 2017. Subject to change. Updates will be posted to Kickstarter. The Kickstarter Reward includes a phone, an adhesive case and free shipping.**
** Ships to anywhere in the world with the exception of countries restricted by US export laws (currently Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria but subject to change).
How Will it Work?
This section provides technical details about the prototype and how the new key features will work:
Eye Tracking – The eye tracking feature will detect motion using a high resolution, front-facing camera on the phone. Iris motion is detected using camera hardware, then translated into software commands that represent standard gesture motions in Android for swipe (e.g. up, down, left and right swipe motions). The software interprets eye motion and replaces these gesture commands in any application that supports these standard Android commands.
Adhesive Backing – The ability to stick the phone against most vertical surfaces, resisting the forces of gravity, is based on an adhesive material that works against most surfaces. Since consumers may not always want the adhesive feature of the phone at all times – for example when the phone is in a purse – it is being made available as an optional case for the phone. This way, the phone can be placed into the case and stuck against a surface when desired, or the case is removed when the consumer does not want this feature.
About ZTE USA
ZTE USA (www.zteusa.com), headquartered in Richardson, Texas, is a subsidiary of ZTE Corporation, a global provider of mobile devices, telecommunication systems, and enterprise solutions. Operating since 1998, ZTE USA is dedicated to making cost-efficient, quality communication technology accessible to all. ZTE is ranked by independent industry analysts as the fourth-largest supplier of mobile devices in the U.S. overall, and second-largest supplier of prepaid devices.