Pioneer Electronics of Canada Inc. announced that the Apple CarPlay™-compatible fourth generation AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA210) has shipped and is available at Canadian retail at a suggested retail price of $599. AppRadio 4 brings together the use of cloud and device sourced content from compatible iOS devices (iPhone® 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s and iPhone 4), Android™ smartphones, and MirrorLink™ enabled smartphones, as well as feature enhanced smartphone control, voice control for Siri® Eyes Free and Google® Voice Recognition, Bluetooth® hands-free calling and audio streaming, and a new graphical user interface.
“The new AppRadio 4 embodies our idea of the connected car, providing the majority of smartphone owners the ability to use their devices in the car for calling, streaming music, and even controlling supported apps to enhance their driving experience,” says Andrew Murphy, director of Marketing for Pioneer Electronics of Canada.
- CarPlay Ready – With CarPlay, consumers with iPhone 5 or later, including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and the latest version of iOS can use Siri voice control to make and receive calls, compose and respond to text messages, use Apple Maps for navigation and listen to their music libraries, podcasts and iTunes Radio. For more info about CarPlay visit www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
- Siri Eyes Free – Users of iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone devices can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the AppRadio 4 touchscreen. When activated, Siri provides voice prompts through the vehicle’s speakers, and the user’s questions and commands are received and transmitted using the external microphone provided with the AppRadio 4 unit.
- Bluetooth – To maximize the connectivity options available in today’s most popular smartphones, AppRadio 4 offers both Bluetooth hands-free calling1 and Bluetooth audio streaming and wireless control of compatible devices. It includes Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) for wireless audio streaming and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) version 1.4 for wireless control of devices and related metadata (if available) to be viewed directly on the Pioneer touchscreen display.
- Enhanced Touchscreen User Interface – Designed with the smartphone user in mind, the AppRadio 4 touchscreen user interface (UI) provides easy access to the most commonly used features such as apps, music and calling.
- Built-in MirrorLink – MirrorLink technology enables consumers to connect compatible smartphones to AppRadio 4 (or other compatible in-dash receiver) via a USB cable to use certain music and map applications for a more convenient and safer in-car experience. Similar to AppRadio Mode, MirrorLink is integrated into AppRadio 4 and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Nokia and others.
AppRadio 4 offers a simple and clean cosmetic design utilizing minimal physical buttons on the left side of the screen for quick access by drivers, with the majority of functions and control accessible and operated through its high resolution 6.2-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen. The capacitive touch panel is used for all functions including the app interface, music control/playback, AM/FM radio, and Bluetooth functions. A total of four connectivity cable options2, sold separately, enable connections to more than 30 different smartphone devices. In addition, the unit now offers the Android Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) for deeper access to files and folders on Android devices.
For increased audio performance, AppRadio 4 inherits the capabilities of Pioneer’s NEX receiver models with three sets of high volt (4V) pre-outs, 13-band graphic equalizer, auto EQ, auto time alignment, dual rear USB, and HDMI input, AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display (when available), and MOSFET 50 Watts X 4 power.
About Pioneer Electronics Canada
For over 75 years, Pioneer has been a preeminent manufacturer of high performance audio and video equipment for the home, car, bike and business markets in the consumer electronics industry. It all began with a passion for music that Pioneer founder Nozomu Matsumoto hoped to share with the world. He started Pioneer in 1938 as a specialty speaker company, building products out of his garage. Today, Pioneer’s Home Entertainment and Business Solutions Group continues Matsumoto’s enthusiasm, developing award-winning audio and video home theater products. Its auto division is the leader in Canada for audio/navigation products. Long-standing partnerships and collaborations with the creative community have provided Pioneer unique insight in its quest to capture the purity of a movie or musical artist’s original vision into its broad range of home entertainment products. The company’s brands include Pioneer® and Elite®.