Bell Media revealed yesterday that its upcoming subscription on-demand video streaming service, code-named “Project Latte,” will deliver to its subscribers the most-sought after sci-fi and fantasy-themed premium TV content in the country when it launches next month, anchored by genre hits ORPHAN BLACK and BBC’s DOCTOR WHO. In addition to revealing “Project Latte’s” Sci-Fi & Fantasy collection, Bell Media also announced that ARROW and THE FLASH are the first titles confirmed for the service’s Superhero collection. These announcements are the latest in a series of programming confirmations for Canada’s premium TV streaming service, set to launch in December.
“Some of the hottest TV shows on earth now are sci-fi and fantasy-themed, so we’ve strategically curated Project Latte to deliver the best of this type of programming,” said Mike Cosentino, Senior Vice-President, Programming, Bell Media. “In addition to our own ORPHAN BLACK and cult-hit DOCTOR WHO, we are also proud to offer the complete STAR TREK collection – one of the most iconic and beloved TV franchises of all time.”
At launch, the Sci-Fi & Fantasy, STAR TREK, and Superheroes collections will represent more than 1,500 hours of programming for “Project Latte” subscribers.
ORPHAN BLACK and DOCTOR WHO
- At launch, “Project Latte” will feature past seasons of two of the hottest shows on TV – conspiracy clone drama ORPHAN BLACK (20 episodes), exclusively available on “Project Latte,“ and BBC’s cult-hit DOCTOR WHO (108 episodes). Last season, ORPHAN BLACK reached a total of 3.7 million viewers and more than 832,000 unique viewers each week on Space. DOCTOR WHO, the #1 series of all time on Space, reached epic proportions in its recently wrapped eighth season, averaging 756,000 viewers weekly, making it the most-watched TV series on Canadian specialty television during its run.
- Bell Media has secured the subscription on-demand video streaming service rights for the entire TV catalogue of one of the most popular series of all time, STAR TREK. Every single episode of STAR TREK’s six series, 30 seasons, 715 hours, and 726 episodes can only be found together on “Project Latte” at launch, allowing subscribers to re-live the intergalactic magic from Captains Kirk to Picard to Janeway.
- While the catalogue has been available to fans in various forms throughout the years, “Project Latte” will be the only service to deliver all six series in their entirety: STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES; STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION; STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE; STAR TREK: VOYAGER; and STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE.
- Plus, fans get access to the little-known STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES, voiced by the original cast.
- “Project Latte” will also feature the British conspiracy thriller UTOPIA, which earlier this week was awarded “Best Drama” at the International Emmy Awards.
- From Kudos, one of the world’s leading television production companies, UTOPIA follows five online strangers who are drawn together by the legendary manuscript of a cult graphic novel, and then find themselves pursued by a secret and deadly organization known only as The Network.
- The U.K. series is being adapted for HBO by director David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, HOUSE OF CARDS) and writer Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl).
SCI-FI & FANTASY
- Also joining the lineup of ever-growing premium content on “Project Latte” is cop fantasy GRIMM, smoking-hot werewolf drama BITTEN, fan-favourite TEEN WOLF, Season 1 of BBC’s epic adventure drama ATLANTIS, medieval fantasy MERLIN, BBC’s action-packed series SINBAD, comedy horror TODD & THE BOOK OF PURE EVIL, cult favourite military sci-fi series BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA (2004-09), and its spin-off CAPRICA. The iconic and influential THE TWILIGHT ZONE will also be available to “Project Latte” subscribers, in fully re-mastered glory.
- Coming up later in 2015 is the greatly anticipated new Space Original production KILLJOYS, an interplanetary space drama from ORPHAN BLACK producers Temple Street Productions.
Bell Media announced today the first titles for its “Superheroes” collection, ARROW and THE FLASH, two of the most-watched television programs in Canada, Based on the DC comic characters, ARROW is billionaire playboy and secret vigilante Oliver Queen, while THE FLASH is Barry Allen, the Fastest Man Alive.
Programming announced today represent content from BBC Worldwide, CBS Studios International, Entertainment One Television, Frantic Films, FremantleMedia International, MGM, NBC Universal, Shine Group, Temple Street Productions, and Warner Bros. International Television Distribution.
Today’s announcement is the latest in a series of programming confirmations by Canada’s premium subscription on-demand video streaming service, code-named “Project Latte” and set to launch in December. Devoted exclusively to the best content on television, the service will feature thousands of hours of content representing TV’s top premium brands, including the entire off-air library of HBO’s iconic programming catalogue; an unmatchable comedy slate headlined by SEINFELD and featuring every single episode of MONTY PYTHON’S FLYING CIRCUS; as well as TV programming not found anywhere else in Canada, including MANHATTAN. Additional details about “Project Latte” – including its final name – will be announced in the weeks to come.
About “Project Latte”
Created for TV lovers and devoted exclusively to television, “Project Latte” is Canada’s premium subscription on-demand video streaming service, providing the most robust lineup of superior television content in the country. From TV’s most-acclaimed dramas and beloved comedies to documentaries, music, and factual programming, “Project Latte” will feature more than 10,000 hours of premium non-kids TV programming, with more than 350 unique TV titles. Designed to complement traditional television and available to all TV providers, to date “Project Latte” will be offered via set-top box to TELUS Optik TV, Bell Fibe TV, and Bell Aliant FibreOP TV subscribers at launch. The service will also be available via mobile apps, the web, game consoles, and smart TVs. Set to launch later this year, “Project Latte” is from Bell Media, Canada’s premier multi-media company.
About Bell Media
With passion and an unrelenting commitment to excellence, Bell Media creates content and builds brands that entertain, tell, engage, and inspire audiences through the platforms of their choice. Bell Media is Canada’s premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio, out-of-home advertising, and digital media. Bell Media owns 30 local television stations led by CTV, Canada’s #1 television network; 35 specialty channels, including TSN and RDS, Canada’s most-watched specialty channels in English and French; and four pay TV services, including The Movie Network and Super Écran. For more on Bell Media, please visit www.bellmedia.ca.